Wednesday, August 10, 2011

89 days and counting...



Yep, you heard it hear folks. On November 7, 2011 I will be packing up my life and moving across the Atlantic Ocean. Destination: Florence, Italy. Most of my close friends and family already know this to be true, but I mostly reiterate this fact to myself in hopes that it might start to sound believable. As the date draws near, I can feel myself going through the motions of preparing emotionally for, what is sure to be, the most adventurous chapter of my life thus far. Taking into account that there is no possible way to even begin to fathom the changes that I'm in for, I still can't help myself from daydreaming about how my life will be different/better once in Italy. On the contrary, I have also had my fair share of grounding thoughts like, "You know you don't speak Italian, right?" Please trust that the lack of my ability to speak Italian won't stop me from relocating, but I have to remind myself that there will be obstacles in the road ahead. To tell you the truth, obstacles are exactly what I need.

When I graduated from college, the vision I had for my life included a nice car, nice things, a stable/rewarding career, a husband, and children. Some of these things I have already accomplished and some... not so much (ahem, husband/kids). Recently, I wondered whether I wanted all of these stereotypical "things" for myself because I actually wanted them or was it because it has always been my perception of what all women my age should want?

For the last year I have been living with my parents. I don't mind admitting to this, because it wasn't out of necessity, but rather a desire to spend some much needed quality time with my Mom and Dad. I would be lying if I said that there weren't other perks to living at home again. Who wouldn't appreciate paying less every month for rent, home cooked meals, and clean laundry? (My Mom is awesome btw). It feels so good to have gotten to really get to know my parents again. Also, I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to really reflect on my life, past and future, and what I want to get out of it. I still hope to find love one day and maybe even have a family, but for now, I feel content knowing that I am not afraid to go after goals that aren't exactly what everyone else expects of me, but more along the lines of what I expect of me. So, here's to taking chances... let the adventure begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment